Judge denies stay after right-to-work ruling

A northwest Indiana judge has rejected a request by the Indiana attorney general's office that he put on hold his order striking down the state's right-to-work law until the state Supreme Court rules on a similar case.

Lake County Judge George Paras' order was posted on the court docket Wednesday after being issued last week, the Times of Munster reported.

Attorney General's Office spokesman Bryan Corbin told The Associated Press that it hasn't received the order but that the office plans to file a new motion for a stay with the Indiana Supreme Court. Corbin said to avoid inconsistency, the trial court should wait for the Supreme Court to rule.

Paras determined the law violates the state constitution by forcing unions to provide services to workers without payment.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

Story Continues Below

Editor's note: IBJ is now using a new comment system. Your Disqus account will no longer work on the IBJ site. Instead, you can leave a comment on stories by signing in to your IBJ account. If you have not registered, please sign up for a free account now. Past comments are not currently showing up on stories, but they will be added in the coming weeks. Please note our updated comment policy that will govern how comments are moderated.