Todd Connor’s nearly six-year run as anchorman at WRTV-TV Channel 6 is over.
WRTV General Manager Larry Blackerby confirmed Friday to IBJ that Connor is no longer with the station. He said the split happened this week, but declined to comment further.
Sources close to WRTV told IBJ that the station’s news director, Terri Cope-Walton, informed the staff earlier this week that Connor’s last day as the station’s late afternoon and evening anchor would be Wednesday. Cope-Walton confirmed Connor's departure but declined to say who would replace him.
One industry insider said Connor's contract was not renewed.
Connor, 50, who worked in New York for 14 years prior to coming to Indianapolis, replaced Todd Wallace at WRTV in August 2010.
Previously, Connor worked for Fox News and ABC News.
Connor could not be reached for comment.
WRTV is locked in a fierce battle in the local TV news war with WTHR-TV Channel 13, WXIN-TV Channel 59, WTTV-TV Channel 4 and WISH-TV Channel 8.
WRTV's owner, E.W. Scripps Co., has bolstered the news programming at the station since buying it—and several other stations—in 2011 from McGraw-Hill, Its moves included opening a broadcast studio on Monument Circle, expanding weekend morning newscasts and adding a 4 p.m. weekday newscast called “The Now.” Still, WRTV is either fourth or fifth in most local news time slots.