This photo taken on Aug. 3, 1943, shows work at P.R. Mallory and Co. on East Washington Street. The company produced dry-cell batteries, electronic components and audible warning devices. At its height in the 1960s, the P.R. Mallory building had 1,500 workers, but employment began to decline in the 1970s as Mallory sold off business units. Now, city officials are readying the long-vacant building to be occupied by Purdue Polytechnic High School. A story about the project appears on page 6A. The photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the Larry Foster Collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.
Sources: Indiana Historical Society, IBJ research