Indy Eleven allowed to seat 7,500 fans for final two home games

The Indy Eleven is allowed to seat 7,500 patrons for each of the team’s final two regular season games, following new guidance for attendance from the Marion County Public Health Department.

The team’s announcement on Tuesday is the latest development in the see-saw saga of Indy Eleven attendance during the pandemic. The soccer club initially didn’t have a hard cap on attendance for this season and averaged nearly 5,500 fans per game after kicking off the season this summer in Lucas Oil Stadium.

On Sept. 4, the Indianapolis Colts announced an agreement with the health department that limited attendance for its first home game on Sept. 20 to no more than 2,500 fans, also in Lucas Oil Stadium. After IBJ inquired about the disparity between Colts and Indy Eleven occupancy, the health department announced that Indy Eleven games would have to observe the same limit.

The Colts have since been allowed to seat 7,500 fans for their home game on Sunday against the New York Jets. According to the Indy Eleven’s announcement on Tuesday, the soccer club will be able to seat the same number at its final home games, scheduled for Wednesday and Sept. 30.

The health department has said it maintains its right to be flexible on attendance limits based on available data on COVID-19 infection trends.

“The changes in attendance limits for Indianapolis Colts games and Indy Eleven games at Lucas Oil Stadium, as well as October racing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, are the result of changing trends in local COVID-19 data and ongoing dialogue with these organizations around health safety precautions,” according to a statement to IBJ from the health department on Monday.

“In addition to the restrictions set forth in public health orders, recommendations for these events have included appropriate spacing in the facility between attendees, mandating the use of face coverings, and making sure appropriate monitors are in place to ensure social distancing,” the statement said.

Last week, Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials announced that the venue would be permitted to host up to 10,000 spectators at the inaugural Harvest Grand Prix, scheduled for Oct. 1-4. The determination to allow fans at the 300,000-seat venue came from the health department.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

Editor's note: You can comment on IBJ stories by signing in to your IBJ account. If you have not registered, please sign up for a free account now. Please note our updated comment policy that will govern how comments are moderated.

4 thoughts on “Indy Eleven allowed to seat 7,500 fans for final two home games

  1. Can a “journalist” ask Pothole and his health “expert” exactly what trends have changed? They are making it up as they go. IN’s Covid numbers have been static for at least 6 weeks.

    1. I am surprised the IBJ headline did include “everyone was going to die” after attending the game. Does the Doctor Box family own the IBJ?

{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining
{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining Article limit resets in {{ count_down }} days.