The Art Association of Indianapolis, which was founded in 1883 with an exhibition of 453 works by 137 artists at the English Hotel downtown, changed its name to the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 1969. A year later, the museum opened Krannert Pavilion, the first in a series of pavilions planned at its new Michigan Road site (Oldfields, the estate of Josiah K. Lilly Jr., which was donated by his children). LOVE, pictured here in 1970, arrived. The sculpture by Robert Indiana is now located inside the museum.
Sources: Indiana Historical Society, Newfields
Credit: The image is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of The Bretzman Collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.