The Indiana State Department of Health on Monday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 4,944 after the emergence of 533 more cases.
The daily increase is the largest the state has reported so far during the outbreak. The department reported the state’s first case on March 6.
The death toll in the state rose to 139, up from 127 the previous day.
The department reported that 26,191 people have been tested so far, up from 22,652 in Sunday’s report. The ISDH said the test numbers reflect only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
Marion County reported 1,956 cases—up from 1,760 cases from the previous day—with 41 deaths. The state said 9,503 people have been tested in the county.
Counties in the Indianapolis area have reported at least 37 cases each: Hamilton (335), Johnson (195), Hendricks (196), Boone (64), Hancock (72), Madison (101), Morgan (76) and Shelby (45).
Only two of Indiana’s 92 counties have not reported cases.
The health department is providing case updates daily at about 10 a.m. based on results received through 11:59 p.m. the previous day.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases—possibly thousands more—than those indicated by the number of tests.
As of Monday morning, 337,971 cases had been reported in the United States, with 9,654 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine. More than 17,500 people have recovered.
Nearly 1.29 million cases have been reported globally, with 70,590 deaths. More than 270,200 people have recovered.