Butler University students sit in a classroom in 1929 in Arthur Jordan Hall. One of three original buildings at Butler’s current campus, Jordan Hall was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style by Robert Frost Daggett and Thomas Hibben. After two years of construction, it opened for the fall 1928 semester, the school’s first after it left Irvington for its West 46th Street location along the White River. Jordan Hall is named after 19th century and early 20th century entrepreneur Arthur Jordan, who became the first business person to ship a trainload of poultry from Indianapolis to New York City. The building continues to house classrooms and offices and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Sources: Indiana Historical Society, Arthur Jordan Foundation
Credit: This photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the W.H. Bass Collection. More images available at images.indianahistory.org.