IndyCar to refund $925,000 for canceled Boston Grand Prix

July 7, 2016

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey has reached an agreement with IndyCar LLC to refund about half of the money owed to customers who bought advance tickets to the cancelled Boston Grand Prix.

Healey said Thursday that IndyCar— the race's sanctioning body — has agreed to refund $925,000. That's out of nearly $2.1 million spent by about 4,000 customers.

Healey said she filed a lawsuit Thursday against Boston Grand Prix and CEO John Casey seeking full refunds for all ticket buyers.

Boston Grand Prix LLC had refunded customers approximately $400,000 before filing for bankruptcy protection earlier this week.

Tickets for the planned Labor Day Race went on sale in March, but the race was canceled in April. Organizers said the city made unreasonable demands, while city officials said the race course group was disorganized.

Boston Grand Prix said in its bankruptcy filing Tuesday that its almost $9 million in liabilities include more than $1.5 million owed to people who bought tickets for the race, which was supposed to be held over the Labor Day weekend and again each year through 2020.

Creditors include several former sponsors of the race and IndyCar, which says it is owed $4.2 million.The group says it has $60,000 in assets.

IndyCar filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against the organizers in May.


Recent Articles by Associated Press

Comments powered by Disqus