`

Indianapolis priest suspended after allegation of sexual misconduct

September 5, 2018

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis has suspended a priest after a report of sexual misconduct dating back several decades.

In a statement Wednesday, the archdiocese announced the allegation against the Rev. Patrick Doyle was made Tuesday to a victim assistance coordinator. Officials say they immediately alerted "civil authorities" about the accusation.

With the suspension, Doyle is prohibited from all public ministry while an investigation into the allegation is pending.

Details about the victim or the alleged misconduct were not immediately available. Telephone calls seeking comment from Doyle weren't immediately returned.

The Archdiocese recently suspended the Rev. John Maung, a retired priest who was still in ministry, after an individual reported that he abused them as a child several decades ago. Maung, who denies the allegations, retired in 2009 but continued assisting at archdiocese parishes.

Indianapolis Archbishop Charles Thompson said last week that he plans to publicly release the names of all priests in his diocese who've faced substantiated allegations of child sexual abuse.

 

 

 

Thompson said a review board will help compile a list for public release of all priests, living and dead, "with a substantiated claim of sexual abuse against a child or minor."

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Articles by Associated Press

Comments powered by Disqus