People’s Outfitting Co. was a department store founded in 1893 in Detroit that opened in Indianapolis around 1899 at 133-135 W. Washington St., where it sold furniture, carpet, cameras, jewelry and household items. The building was in the block where the Hyatt Regency now sits. In 1924, People’s Outfitting moved to 47 S. Meridian St., the building now known as the Morrison Opera Place. People’s was among the first stores to let customers pay using installment plans—with no interest. The department store’s slogan, according to an old ad, was “It’s easy to pay—the People’s way!”
Sources: HistoricDetroit.org, HistoricIndianapolis.org, Indiana Historical Society
Credit: The photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the W.H. Bass Photo Co. collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.