Editor’s note: The Indiana State Department of Health updated the numbers for deaths and testing in its daily report after this story was originally published, citing “technical difficulties.” We have updated those numbers.
The Indiana State Department of Health on Friday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 3,437 after the emergence of 398 more cases.
The death toll in the state jumped to 102, up from 78 the previous day.
The department reported that 17,835 people have been tested so far, up from 16,285 in Thursday’s report. The ISDH said the test numbers reflect only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
The first COVID-19 case in Indiana was reported March 16.
Marion County reported 1,429 cases—up 125 cases from the previous day—with 33 deaths. The state said 6,779 people have been tested in the county.
Counties in the Indianapolis area have reported at least 26 cases each: Hamilton (220), Johnson (136), Hendricks (138), Boone (38), Hancock (41), Madison (67), Morgan (52) and Shelby (26).
Only seven of Indiana’s 92 counties have not reported cases.
The health department is providing case updates daily at about 10 a.m. based on results received through 11:59 p.m. the previous day.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases—possibly thousands more—than those indicated by the number of tests.
As of Friday morning, 245,601 cases had been reported in the United States, with 6,058 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine.
More than 1.03 million cases have been reported globally, with 54,369 deaths. More than 218,850 people have recovered.