The Indiana State Department of Health on Wednesday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 5,943 after the emergence of 436 more cases.
The increase in cases was lower than the highest rise in cases for the coronavirus crisis that was reported Tuesday, when the total increased by 563. The department reported the state’s first case on March 6.
The death toll in the state rose to 203, up from 173 the previous day.
The department reported that 30,869 people have been tested so far, up from 28,764 in Tuesday’s report. The ISDH said the test numbers reflect only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
Marion County reported 2,290 cases—up from 2,141 cases from the previous day—with 58 deaths. The state said 10,963 people have been tested in the county.
Counties in the Indianapolis area have reported at least 56 cases each: Hamilton (392), Johnson (230), Hendricks (243), Boone (76), Hancock (99), Madison (143), Morgan (82) and Shelby (56).
Only three of Indiana’s 92 counties have not reported cases: Benton, Perry and Pike.
The health department is providing case updates daily at about 10 a.m. based on results received through 11:59 p.m. the previous day.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases—possibly thousands more—than those indicated by the number of tests.
As of Tuesday morning, 399,929 cases had been reported in the United States, with 12,911 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine. More than 22,539 people have recovered.
More than 1.45 million cases have been reported globally, with 83,424 deaths. More than 308,146 people have recovered.