The Indiana State Department of Health on Friday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 6,907 after the emergence of 556 more cases.
The increase halted a two-day slowdown in new reported cases. The state reported 408 new cases Thursday, 436 new cases on Wednesday and 563 new cases on Tuesday.
The department reported the state’s first case on March 6.
The death toll in the state rose to 300, up from 245 the previous day. The 55 deaths were the most reported to date in the health department’s daily updates, up from 42 on Thursday.
The department reported that 35,040 people have been tested so far, up from 32,133 in Thursday’s report. The ISDH said the test numbers reflect only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
Marion County reported 2,600 cases—up from 2,415 cases the previous day—with 107 deaths. The state said 12,185 people have been tested in the county.
Counties in the Indianapolis area have reported at least 63 cases each: Hamilton (431), Johnson (270), Hendricks (287), Boone (90), Hancock (109), Madison (204), Morgan (89) and Shelby (63).
Only two of Indiana’s 92 counties have not reported cases: Benton and Pike.
The health department is providing case updates daily at about 10 a.m. based on results received through 11:59 p.m. the previous day.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases—possibly thousands more—than those indicated by the number of tests.
As of Friday morning, 466,396 cases had been reported in the United States, with 16,703 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine. More than 26,500 people have recovered.
Nearly 1.62 million cases have been reported globally, with 97,039 deaths. More than 365,100 people have recovered.