The Indiana State Department of Health on Saturday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 7,435 after the emergence of 528 more cases.
The department reported the state’s first case on March 6.
The death toll in the state rose to 330, up from 300 the previous day. The number of deaths reported on Saturday were down from 55 new deaths the previous day, although deaths and cases are not always reported immediately.
The department reported that 39,215 people have been tested so far, up from 35,040 in Thursday’s report. The ISDH said the test numbers reflect only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
Marion County reported 2,742 cases—up from 2,600 cases the previous day. The state reported 118 deaths in Marion County, 11 more than Friday. The state said 14,004 people have been tested in the county.
The number of cases have grown in all of the region’s counties. Hamilton has had 443 positive cases; Johnson, 287; Hendricks, 301; Boone, 103; Hancock, 112; Madison, 235; Morgan, 94, and Shelby, 68.
Only two of Indiana’s 92 counties have not reported cases: Benton and Pike.
The health department is providing case updates daily at about 10 a.m. based on results received through 11:59 p.m. the previous day.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases—possibly thousands more—than those indicated by the number of tests.
As of Saturday morning, 501,680 cases had been reported in the United States, with 18,777 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine. Nearly 29,200 people have recovered.
Nearly 1.7 million cases have been reported globally, with 103,796 deaths. Nearly 389,000 people have recovered.