The decision to allow local fans to watch the race live comes one day after Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials announced plans to reduce attendance capacity for this year’s race to 25%.
IBJ talked with IMS President Doug Boles about plans for the Indy 500, which is scheduled for Aug. 23. That’s about seven weeks after the state’s reopening plan calls for sporting events to resume.
The ban was announced before Wednesday night’s race at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia, where the series’ only black drive, Bubba Wallace, drove Richard Petty Motorsports’ No. 43 Chevrolet with a #BlackLivesMatter paint scheme.
Former IndyCar driver and longtime television racing analyst Derek Daly said he’s not looking to settle a lawsuit he filed last week against Emmis Communications Corp., the Indianapolis Colts, former announcer Bob Lamey and Emmis on-air sports personality Joe Staysniak.
Two claims survived, and U.S. District Judge James R. Sweeney II gave Dixon time to amend three others that had been dismissed.
In a wide-ranging interview, Roger Penske insisted his commitment remains steadfast to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the IndyCar Series as the world waits for the pandemic to end.
The race—rescheduled for Aug. 23—is on an otherwise open weekend in the city’s summer event calendar, which could fill hotel rooms at a time they would otherwise have been empty.
The IndyCar Series—and the city of Indianapolis—would take a devastating hit if the Indianapolis 500 was canceled this year. Officials are looking at contingency plans for holding the race this summer or fall if the fallout from the pandemic extends beyond May.
Fernando Alonso will again attempt to complete motorsports’ Triple Crown with a return to the Indianapolis 500 in May with McLaren and a sponsorship from Ruoff Mortgage.
Driver James Hinchcliffe had to scramble to find anything at all for 2020 when he learned late last year that he was out at Arrow McLaren SP with a year remaining on his contract.
Popular auto racer James Hinchcliffe, who was abruptly ousted from his IndyCar team in October, has secured a corporate sponsorship that will allow him to drive in two races in May, including the Indy 500.
The NASCAR Xfinity Series—the second tier in professional stock-car racing—will run the race Saturday, July 4, on a road course that uses part of the historic speedway oval.
The abrupt sackings of four-time series champion Sebastien Bourdais and popular veteran James Hinchcliffe has made for an offseason of distasteful business decisions that has contributed to a rapidly changing landscape in a series trying to make a comeback.
Bill Simpson, a pioneer in motorsports safety credited with creating equipment that saved too many drivers to count from death or serious injury, died Monday. He was 79.
Mark Miles, who has led Hulman & Co. since 2012, said: “We have the opportunity now to try to take it to a whole other level. I’ve had no thought of doing anything else.”
Despite IndyCar’s modest progress in recent years, it still faces significant obstacles, including the need for more corporate sponsorships, a broader fan base and higher TV ratings.
The 110-year-old speedway is one of the most famous venues in sports and home of the Indianapolis 500, a showcase event with a long history.
Roger Penske—whose Penske Corp. is buying Hulman & Co. and its racing operations—said he’d also like to bring a third car manufacturer to IndyCar and maintain IMS’s relationship with NASCAR.