This photo of the Marion County Clerk’s Office in the old courthouse was taken Oct. 21, 1954.
This photo taken on Dec. 10, 1942, shows the inside of a liquor store at the Claypool Hotel, although the description does not name the store. It could be the Estates Liquor store, which was located in the building for decades.
In the late 1890s and early 1900s, mineral waters fed from local springs fueled the Martinsville economy, drawing thousands of people seeking cures for dysentery, rheumatism and muscle pain.
This photo was shot on April 26, 1957, from a balcony on the east side of the Statehouse, looking east down Market Street, with construction of the ISTA Center on the left.
S.S. Kresge Co.—then one of the nation’s largest retailers—built a 65,000-square-foot office building at the southwest corner of Pennsylvania and Washington streets in 1924.
This photo was taken in the 1940s of a woman sanding parts using a power grinder at the plant. T
Democrat Paul McNutt was governor from 1933 to 1937, after serving as dean of the Indiana University Law School and then state and national commander of the American Legion.
New York-based schoolteacher and photographer Lewis Hine took these pictures in about 1908 at a glass factory in Indiana,
Circle Hall was constructed for the Second Presbyterian Church in about 1840 on the northwest quadrant of the Circle at Market Street—the spot where the English Hotel and Opera House, a J.C. Penney and then the Anthem headquarters would later be located.
The Columbia Club formed in 1889 and had two homes on Monument Circle before the group spent $827,000 to construct the 10-story clubhouse it still uses today.
The L.S. Ayres department store opened at the southwest corner of Washington and Meridian streets in 1905 and within 20 years had become known for its festive Christmas-themed windows.
On Oct. 1, 1946, the Young Republicans Club protested the Office of Price Administration, an agency created in 1941 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to prevent runaway prices, profiteering and hoarding during World War II.