Founder Thomas O’Brien launched his auto sales in 1933 across the street with a Desoto-Plymouth dealership.
This photo from the 1940s shows Allen’s Furniture and Roesch Pharmacy, on the west side of the street’s 2300 block, while Brightwood Jewelers and Goldman’s, a clothing store, anchored the east side.
The Indiana Department of Transportation is making plans now to rebuild the north split and some neighbors are advocating alternatives that could include removing the highways or reducing their footprints.
The national group was initially part of the American Federation of Labor but broke off to become the nation’s first political action committee.
This 1927 billboard above Martin Zinkan grocery at 1205 Kentucky Ave. advertises used cars at Capitol Overland Co. at Capitol Avenue and Michigan Street (a building that remains).
What was then called the Indiana Theatre hosted the world premiere of “Home in Indiana,” a movie about harness racing, on June 14, 1944.
Broad Ripple Amusement Park—on the site of what is now Broad Ripple Park—was the successor to White City Amusement Park, which opened May 26, 1906, but burned down just two years later.
At its height in the 1960s, the P.R. Mallory building on Washington Street had 1,500 workers.
This photograph from the 1940s shows a view of Indiana Avenue looking northwest from Ohio Street, with Sacks Bros. Loans to the left and a Firestone service station to the right. At that time, Indiana Avenue ended at Ohio Street. But the street was shortened by one block in 1982 for construction of what was […]